Reception to Year 8
Art at Tower House is taught by the Art Assistant in Reception through to Year 2. It is then taught in the art room for two periods a week for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
The Art Curriculum is taught on a termly basis. There are themes each term which are taught to give boys the opportunity to use different media and techniques. Boys study artists from different cultures and periods and they are used as a starting point for activities which include:
- Observational drawing
- Drawing from memory
- Drawing from the imagination
- Painting techniques in Acrylic and Watercolour
- Printmaking using polystyrene and lino
- Plaster and wire mesh sculptures
- Clay work. This includes creating work using slabbing and coils techniques. The boys also get the opportunity to throw pots on one of the three potter’s wheels which is a recent addition to the art department.
- Carving using polystyrene and “Thermolite” breeze blocks.
A network of computers are used to access the Internet to research artists in order to research and make presentations. In the Junior school, Art Club is on Tuesdays for year 1. In the Senior school Art Club is offered to boys from Year 4 to Year 8.
Talented Artists from Year 6 onwards are offered the opportunity to attend an “Able Artists” tuition session on Tuesdays after school to develop their work for Art or Art combined Scholarships. Tower House has a lot of success with Art Awards and Art combined Scholarships.
The Department has a new Pewter Casting facility, an enamelling kiln and a 3D Printer. Both Art and DT have hugely benefited from a newly built room. The spacious feel of the full length windows and new furniture have inspired the children who enjoy designing and creating.
"Creativity is of a high standard, with pupils achieving exceptionally well in Art"